The Energy Regulatory Commission is established under the Energy Act, 2006 with the following objectives and functions:-
- Regulate the electrical energy, petroleum and related products, renewable energy and other forms of energy.
- Protect the interests of consumer, investor and other stakeholder interests.
- Maintain a list of accredited energy auditors as may be prescribed.
- Monitor, ensure implementation of, and the observance of the principles of fair competition in the energy sector, in coordination with other statutory authorities.
- Provide such information and statistics to the Minister as he may from time to time require; and Collect and maintain energy data.
- Prepare indicative national energy plan.
- Perform any other function that is incidental or consequential to its functions under the Energy Act or any other written law.